If you ask 3D Robotics, they consider their Solo drone to be the “world’s smartest drone” and the “easiest to fly.” Equipped with features like pushbutton flight and computer-assisted Smart Shots, Solo simplifies the process of capturing professional aerial photos and video. Powering the Solo is a set of two 1 GHZ processors and it’s the first “all-in-one drone to offer live video streaming in vivid HD from your GoPro® directly to your mobile device—at ranges up to half a mile.” The Solo/GoPro integration is very tight, offering complete remote control of your GoPro camera during flight. However, the 3DR Solo will require either a smartphone or tablet.
The 3DR Solo website lists some of the drones key features:
- The first drone with a brain, Solo is powered by twin computers
- Only drone to stream live HD video from GoPro® direct to iOS/Android devices
- Revolutionary, intuitive video game-style controller
- Take to the air in seconds with effortless pushbutton flight
- Powerful Smart Shot technology makes capturing incredible cinematic footage easy and automatic
- Unique safety features like pause and “safety net” mean you can fly with confidence
- First with in-flight GoPro® access: Start/stop recording and adjust camera settings from the ground (with Solo Gimbal)
- Full-featured app for iOS and Android puts total craft control at your fingertips
- Follow Me mode enables Solo to automatically track and film any subject
- Solo Gimbal (sold separately) delivers smooth footage, GoPro® power and control and HDMI video
- Future-proof accessory and gimbal bays make Solo ready for tomorrow’s technology
- Free software and feature updates ensure your Solo evolves at the pace of innovation
- The smart drone keeps getting smarter: LiDAR for super stable indoor flight; ballistic parachute system; flight rewind and more, all scheduled for release
- World-class customer support means we’ve always got your back: live six-day-a-week phone support from qualified engineers; in-app service tickets; and a 30-day money-back guarantee
With all of these cool features, you know there has to be some bad news somewhere. It’s bad news for drone pilots outside of North America, because Solo currently only ships to US/Canada.
“Solo is a breakthrough in intelligent flight. It’s not just smarter so that it can do more; it’s smarter so that you have to do less. We’ve turned the Hollywood toolkit into software and allowed everyone to experience what it’s like to make epic video, both behind and in front of the camera. Solo will expand our concept of what a drone can be and do, using advanced autonomous technology to make creativity easier. Rather than needing skill to capture a great shot, you can let the software do the work. Even better, you can be in the shot—you can be the subject of your life’s story, not just the director.”
— Chris Anderson, CEO of 3D Robotics
The 3DR Solo Drone is and easy to fly plane that allows you to hook up your GoPro and have the drone follow you during your outings to take pictures and videos. While it does require some direction, the 3DR Solo Drone is perfect for beginner flyers. While it is easy to use, the controls are set up in a less complicated, more user friendly way enhanced with the view screen directly on the controller to view your frames. Then with just the push of a button you can stop the drone mid air, resume flight, change settings, start and stop video, or take that perfect shot.
3DR Solo: The Smart Drone